Road condition to Middle Fork Trail?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Road condition to Middle Fork Trail?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeH
      Participant

Hi all,

Anyone been on the road to Middle Fork Trail recently?  Wondered if those moguls have been smoothed out since last time.  One comment on Alltrails seems to indicate it’s smooth now but figured I’d post here to get more info.

Thanks.

shawnsisler
      Participant

The Middle Fork Road 2N58 looks like it has been groomed recently.

I couldn’t get any conformation from Lytle Creek Ranger Station 909-382-2851. I will be heading to Middle Fork Trail this Saturday 10/22 to scout and survey for SGWA.

I will happily provide a report afterward.

Remember that Cucamonga Wilderness requires a day hiking permit or overnight permit to access which is now available online on our website where you get SGW permits. Also parking at trailhead requires the purchase of a $5 “National Forest Adventure Pass” on your vehicle.

SGWA volunteer

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Shawn.  Not sure I’ll make it this weekend, but if you see a guy walking a husky, feel free to say hi.

shawnsisler
      Participant

On Oct 23 the road 2N58 to trailhead was in good shape with NO continuous pot holes across the whole road that can look like ski moguls but there are few pot holes in some spots.

shawnsisler
      Participant

The road has been graded since earlier this year when there were deep holes everywhere. However it doesn’t take long for the road to start having troubles in some spots so it is hard to say how long it will last before a 4×4 will be required to get through.

shawnsisler
      Participant

The Middle Fork Trail and the Stone House Trail upper or lower are both in very good shape up to Third Stream Crossing Camp which is near the falls.

Remember to try to get a permit for the Cucamonga Wilderness when hiking or camping from Middle Fork trail for Ice House trail to Cucamonga Peak. It isn’t required if you don’t hike within the wilderness boundary but you can still get a permit if you are going to be on the Middle Fork trail because it helps the USFS realize how many people use the area and it helps in case of an emergency.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for all that info, Shawn.  I assume the permit we can get here at sgwa is the permit you’re talking about?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.