Route and water suggestions?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Route and water suggestions?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Pat
      Participant

SG Newbie here backpacking next week. In case SG summit is too snowy/steep for our taste after leaving Fish Camp, can we loop around and still have water at Dry Lake View? Other route ideas? Many thanks!

zippetydude
      Participant

Hi Pat. Your question sounds like you might be a little turned around regarding the location of Dry Lake View.  Contrary to what the name sounds like, it is closer to Dollar Lake and Dollar Lake Saddle than it is to Dry Lake.  If you’re coming in from Fish Creek and the snow blocks your path up San G, that’s the same trail for getting to Dry Lake View unless you drop down past Dry Lake to South Fork Meadows, then back up on the other side past Dollar Lake Saddle and on around to Dry Lake View.  If you look on a map you’ll see what I mean. It gets its name because you’re looking across the entire valley down on Dry Lake in the distance.  Beautiful views from there if you don’t mind going down and back up to get to it! Other options – water probably won’t be an issue since there is so much snow to melt.  Mineshaft Flat is close by and worth seeing.  Or, if you’re adventurous and good with following a topo, you can easily wander out on 10,000 Foot Ridge.  There’s normally no water source, so even though it’s a fascinating place to visit, it’s rare that anyone camps there.  You’ll have the entire place to yourself and probably encounter patches of snow to melt.  Hope you have a fun trip.

Pat
      Participant

Thank you! Yes I had view and lake confused. Our permit request for fish camp was denied as “that area is closed” so I expect we will use the South Fork trail and plow uphill like everyone else. Or pick something else entirely. Looking for 2 nights /  3 days and we have 2 cars for splitting in/out places. Where would you go?

MikeH
      Participant

Assuming you can get permits,  3 days/ 2 nights is supposed to be a good time frame to do the “Grand Tour Loop” Hikin’ Jim has on his site.  I haven’t done it yet so I can’t be much more help than passing on the information I’ve read about.

It’s a loop that starts (or stops) at Forsee Creek Trailhead and starts (or stops depending on which direction you go) at the South Fork Trailhead.   You could park a car at the end or walk the 3 miles approx back to the starting point on the paved road.

Of course you’d still have to contend with Gorgonio and any snow up there with this loop.  But look at the link below and you might be able to discover alternate routes.

More info here:  http://hikinjim.blogspot.com/2013/10/six-backpacking-loops-in-san-gorgonio.html#grand_tour

zippetydude
      Participant

Since you’re new to the area, finding your way around treacherous areas with snow would present something of a problem, so you may want to save the peak for a different day. MikeH is right that the snow would come into play  if you try the Grand Tour route . The Fish Creek area was burned badly so you wouldn’t really want to start there anyway. If you would like to keep it simple, you could go up to Dry Lake, which is a lovely lake right now, and enjoy a couple days there. If you would rather make a loop of it then going up South Fork to Dollar Lake or High Meadow Springs is nice, then you could go over and stay at Shields Flat or Anderson Flat, which are both very nice, and then return via Forsee. Your cars would be only a couple of miles apart so it would make it easy at both drop off and return. Water will probably be available as patches of snow, but you can always get water at Trail Fork Springs if you camp at Anderson.  If the hike on the second day is too short for you, you can always make camp and then hike west over to San Bernardino Peak.  About a mile past the peak there is a beautiful view point looking out to the west just off the trail.  Then you could return down Forsee on your final day.  If you feel like it, pop over to Jackstraw Springs on your way down.  It’s only a little way off the trail and it’s an interesting area you might want to scout for future trips.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.