San Bernardino Peak Trail

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Bernardino Peak Trail

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Nathanaellevi
      Participant

Submitting my permit on Monday 7/10/17 through fax for the San Bernardino Peak.

1)  Are we allowed to camp at the summit?

2) Any snow left up there?

Thank you!

brichardsson
      Participant

it’s allowed, but there’s not a lot of space, and certainly not on the summit proper. if you’re looking to camp, stay at limber pine, one of the best camps in the sgwa.

Ted_S
      Participant

As of a week ago, there were scattered patches of snow near the summit but I didn’t see any at the summit camping area itself.  I still saw some patches from a distance two days ago. With a bit of hiking you might be able to find enough snow to melt for water, but it’s likely to have a lot of grit mixed in.

Winds at the summit are often very strong throughout the night, making tents flap and sleeping difficult.  Camping lower, with trees for shade, much less wind, and nearby water would be far more enjoyable.

Nathanaellevi
      Participant

Thank you both for the response!  That really helps.

MikeH
      Participant

Camped at Limber Pine July 3-4.  Went to the summit July 3rd.  Did not see any snow.  There was still water at the small creek/ spring .25 miles up the trail from Limber Pine.  I’ve never been there before – it was pretty minimal (link to pic below), but perhaps that’s normal for this time of year.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156579288@N08/AQ526Z

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by MikeH.
      wanderluster
      Participant

Look at the list of campsite spots elsewhere on this website.  The only summit I know where camping is allowed is San Gorgonio Peak, not at San Bernardino Peak.  Its pretty strictly enforced, too.  Try camping at Limber Pine as someone else mentioned, its not far from the peak.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.