San Bernardino Peak Trail to- almost- Limber Pine

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Bernardino Peak Trail to- almost- Limber Pine

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeH
      Participant

Going to try posting this again.  (looks like there are still issues.  Going to try splitting it up)

Been watching the SGWA permit site for when the opened up permits for Limber Pine. Sure enough, when the closure expired, they added that permit option to the list. I grabbed the first one.

TL,DR- The plan was to hike to Limber Pine and set up the tent. Try to get to SB Peak that day or, maybe in the morning. Unfortunately, we didn’t make it to Limber Pine. Trail was in good condition. Too snow covered for us after about 4.5 miles.

MikeH
      Participant

Details:

Packed Mika in the car and headed out. Road to trailhead is in typical semi-rough condition. My Crosstrek had no issues. Pretty much any car that isn’t too low would be fine. There was a sedan and a Honda Element at the trailhead.

Trail is in good condition. A couple downed trees but nothing too crazy. I was surprised there wasn’t more downed trees. As expected, it was a sea of burned trees and bushes. Trail is basically clear of snow until about 3 miles in. Some patches of snow were a bit difficult to walk over without traction devices of some sort.  There was no water on the trail that I saw.

We made it 4.6 miles in and turned around. The trail was getting more covered in snow and hard to find. Got tired of trying to kick-step and called it day. Apparently traversing slopes is my kryptonite. Have hated it for as long as I’ve been hiking. I brought trail crampons, but never put them on. Would have gotten us farther than we went for sure. I just envisioned doing that kick-step dance for the next two miles. No thanks.

MikeH
      Participant

Won’t let me paste the last part.  Let’s see if it will let me post a pic:

51978472414_23b419f729_k

MikeH
      Participant

51978466014_453be3ae06_k

stbrnnr
      Participant

Knowing when to turn around remains an under-appreciated skill–as perhaps indicated by the number of rescues SG SAR have to attend to regularly over Vivian way.  When the effort vs fun ROI no longer pencils out… i’d say you chose wisely, as we’ve got many snow/ice hassle-free days ahead this year to enjoy these reopened areas.  Thx for making the travel effort, report and pics–that second one is brutal.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.