San Gorgonio Summit Report

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Gorgonio Summit Report

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Austin
      Participant

Summited San Gorgonio today via South Fork and straight up the north face from above dry lake. Epic conditions for climbing. Heavy snow from South Fork Meadows all the way to the summit. It was extremely windy on the summit along with climbing on the North Face. Wind chill was probably in the teens. Awesome day on the mountain wish I could have stayed on the summit longer but it was brutally cold and windy. 661A2F1A-8B8C-45F5-9264-50D14CBCDE5503D1B0B7-3F84-4070-A954-33101F23046123FE0997-C320-44AB-808B-53C21063B47E35F30FF2-51E7-46E2-BCC0-56A80DB2AF8E

hiker girl
      Participant

Beautiful pics, glad you had a great day and chutes were stable enough to get to the peak!  Did you posthole, use regular axe, high angle or ice climbing tools, and of course crampons?

Snow is fading fast – we did Dry Lake over to Grinnel Sat 4/2/22; lots less snow than a few weeks ago and tons of burnout now.  Chutes looked like posthole city with the very soft spring snow, Grinnel conditions were great!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hiker girl.
      BrianD
      Participant

Nice pics Austin. Looks like you had a great day.

MikeH
      Participant

Nice!

Austin
      Participant

With the chute being shaded and it being during a time of low pressure moving through the region , the ice was very firm for climbing on and I did not experience any postholing. I just had my crampons and a normal ice axe, no technical tools needed.

Bob
      Participant

Trip reports are always appreciated. Thanks Austin! Looks likes there is zero chance of any remaining snow pack going into the early part of May as in years past. It’s just too darn dry out there…got my fingers crossed for some nice spring rains!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.