San Gorgonio via South Fork Water Conditions?

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Gorgonio via South Fork Water Conditions?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rocko
      Participant

Hello, I am hiking to San Gorgonio peak via South Fork and returning by Dry Lake(Dry Lake Trail), in 2 weeks. Is there a chance for a water source on this route?

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Rocko,

There will be water at South Fork Meadows (where the Dry Lake/ Dollar Lake split is).  You will want to plan on this being your last chance for water*… which means carrying all the water you’ll need up to the summit and back to this point.

Will you be going UP the Dry Lake Trail also or taking the Dollar Lake Trail and returning via Dry Lake?

*If you are heading up the Dry Lake Trail, you *may* be able to get water at Lodgepole Spring before heading up to the summit but last I heard, it was running slowly.

If you are going up the Dollar Lake Trail, I seem to remember someone recently saying there was still water near Dollar Lake, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Mark
        Participant

Hi Rocko – I was at Dollar Lake this weekend, and there’s plenty of water flowing for a fillup. I’d estimate ~4L/minute or so.

Water at Dollar Lake

Rocko
      Participant

Thanks. The route we are doing is South Fork Trailhead to Dollar Lake, Camp at Dollar then next day hit both Charlton peaks, Jepson peak, San G peak and back via Dry Lake Trail, to South Fork Trail.

Mark
        Participant

That’s a great route! Would be interesting to hear your trail report when you’re back.

I hit Charleton Peak as well; one of the best views in the mountains. The summit box could use a little TLC though.

Rocko
      Participant

Any more current updates from spring above Dollar Lake or other sources?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.