SGW Reopening ?

Home Forums Trail Conditions SGW Reopening ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Austin
      Participant

Does anyone know why the wilderness is closed until at least October of this year? I know the Forest Service has the ultimate say and this is under the “El Dorado Fire Forest Order Closure” but with much of the wilderness being untouched by the fire why is it being restricted from us? So much premier mountaineering is being blocked from us only to cause more crowding on Baldy and San Jacinto.

Bob
      Participant

This shouldn’t be such a mystery………..either there is a reason or there isn’t.  The Forest Service should be able to provide some answers  ………this is becoming very frustrating, especially since the area was closed for years following the Lake Fire ……. that fire caused extensive long term damage to the wilderness, and while this was very disappointing,  the closure was completely understandable.  This time the closure seems unnecessary and arbitrary………any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Bob.
      Austin
      Participant

Thank you I am right there with you. Very frustrating that the entire wilderness was just arbitrarily closed down.  I’m sure Covid 19 somehow plays into them closing it down as with everything else although it has no correlation. The forest has basically been closed for all practical purposes due to either fire danger, the el dorado and apple fire or the “pandemic”.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Austin.
      shawnsisler
      Participant

There are still areas of the San Bernardino National Forest that are open.

I have listed some of the trails on a previous post.

The reason the San Gorgonio Wilderness is closed is to protect the public from possible injury from the effects of the El Dorado Fire. The fire effects trees, rocks, water and ground. Trees can be hazardous depending how they were burnt and how burnt was the top soil that hold them up. Rocks from up slope can be very unstable due to brush and roots that were burnt that were holding them in place. And in areas where the ground cover has burn completely then the top soil can cause a mud slide or floods when it rains or snows which can cause problems outside of the burn area.

With that said I don’t believe that any slope, river or tree hazards are suspect from South Fork and East. But the forest service has to survey that area complete with their B.A.E.R. (Burned Area Emergency Response) teams to confirm the impact before letting the public back in. They usually give a year’s time to complete this assessment in which if completed early then the closure might be changed to be less of the SGW. But the COVID has reduced Forest Service Staff availability which can back log the process.

Any question or concerns should be directed to San Bernardino National Forest Supervisor in a letter or phone call.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.