Sky High Trail and Mineshaft Flats Camp

Home Forums Trail Conditions Sky High Trail and Mineshaft Flats Camp

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      KatzE
      Participant

Any beta on the condition of the Sky High Trail (via Fish Creek), i.e., any special equipment needed/advisable at this time?  I am planning on doing the trip May 21.  Also, any beta on water just below the Mineshaft Flat campsite?  The last info on the Interactive Map (which is an awesome addition, by the way) is from 10/2021.  Thanks for any info!

shawnsisler
      Participant

The Sky High Trail is no problem following but just hasn’t had a trail crew on it in a while.

The Mineshaft Flat spring is year around except possibly in very dry year and very late summer. The spring is located 1/4 mile passed the campground and slightly off trail. Sometimes there is a rock pile noting where the spring trail is. If trouble look in the green areas near the trail and listen for water trickling.

Here is a map: (coordinates: 34.104263, -116.808556)

Mineshaft Springs

KatzE
      Participant

Awesome. Thanks so much. I’ll post the conditions I encounter after the trip.

KatzE
      Participant

A quick trip report: the road to the Fish Creek TH is rough in places but in good condition. My stock Subaru Forester had no problem, but I drove slow (45 minutes to go 7.5 miles). As for the trail, about a dozen downed trees block the trail, but are easily negotiated over or around.  Water is flowing at the crossing above Fish Camp (about 2.2 miles). Camped at Mine Shaft Flat. I packed all my water up since I wasn’t confident in the spring flowing.  Consequently, we didn’t check it out so unfortunately I don’t information about its status. It looked like a steep drop down to get to the spring, which after carrying all that water up was more than I was up for! The Sky High Trail had about a dozen snow patch crossings of 25-75 feet.  They were well trod, and we felt comfortable in boots (without microspikes) and poles.  Summit and weather were beautiful.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for the report, KatzE.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.