Snow conditions in early November

Home Forums Trail Conditions Snow conditions in early November

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Marc
      Participant

Hello all.  I was hoping to do two nights in Gorgonio Wilderness in the second week of November.  I’ve been out in the backpacking many times in summer months, but never something this late in the year, and never to San Bernadino and San Gorgonio peaks.  I expect it to be very cold, but how are the snow levels so far this year and should I expect there to be lots of snow in November.  When it rained in LA/OC this October, the next day I saw a snow cap up on one of the peaks in Gorgonio (looking from the inland empire).  Is this still the case?  I plan to start and end at South Fork, camping at Red Rock Flat both nights.  Any report on water at South Fork Meadows or High Meadows Spring. Thank you.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Marc.
      • This topic was modified 2 years ago by Marc.
      stbrnnr
      Participant

Appeared this past warm w.e. that nearly all snow from that last dusting has since melted off on the range’s south and west-facing aspects, with exception of some ice and crust patches on N/NE facing slopes on the higher peaks.  [E.g., the Sky High Trail switchbacks on the east side of SG looked to still be iced, well-caked in white as viewed from Lake Peak.]  If no storm activity occurs between now and your permit dates you should be snow-less at R.R. Flat.

Be sure to  watch the zone weather reports at NOAA National Weather Service (would provide link but this site may block them–see weather dot gov), play the displayed map to zero into the general zone; see also bensweather dot com for daily local obsvs.  I’ve no current intel on High Meadows spring–normally considered highly reliable–but South Fork is definitely still gushing aplenty.  Deer hunting season runs thru Nov 11, be alert to possible hunter activity in South Fork Trail vicinity.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.