Snowshoeing

Home Forums Trail Conditions Snowshoeing

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Ratz
      Participant

I know we got a lot of snow in many places in the transverse ranges the past few weeks. Anybody know the best places to get in some snowshoeing in Gorgonio Wilderness? Any trail updates about snow conditions?

I haven’t been out to Gorgonio in a while, not sure even how well maintained the roads are to access some of the trails in snowy winters.

Matt Harmon
      Participant

South Fork trail would be the safest honestly. Just make sure your prepared. Winter hiking is a whole different ball game

Mark Ratz
      Participant

Thanks! Yeah, I’m not feeling like doing anything in any avalanche areas. Just lookin to get out there and enjoy the snow. We have all the gear to be safe.  Done snow ascents, snow camping in a blizzard, all that stuff… but this time I just want a chill snowshoe hike. haha.

chris in redlands
      Participant

Went up mill creek toward the jumpoff yesterday morning. Conditions for snowshoeing are as good as I’ve ever experienced in so cal. Scenery and light were amazing. Nice crust, and a decent line was broken about 2.5 miles up the canyon, which i added maybe a half mile to. Casual morning outing, and extending the line would be a fun adventure if that’s what you’re looking for. Conditions should remain stellar through the week. park at the big falls parking area and just walk up the canyon instead of turning off at the crossing for vivian. go get it!

hiker girl
      Participant

Hiked South Fork to Dry Lake Sat 1/8.  Great conditions – clear compacted trail entire way with nice shallow powder towards the lake.  The lake is beautiful with snow!

Spikes and poles with snow baskets the first half to 2/3 then used snowshoes in the drainage to the lake (the established winter route).

The few – and all very xp – groups we saw out (ran into some old friends!) all only had Dry Lake as their destination. The upper slopes still looked pretty snow-laden and icy.

Brittany
      Participant

Whoop I can just picture it now! Sounds so beautiful!

I am a avid ” all but winter” hiker. Only done snow hikes a few times. I plan on going up next weekend just to snowshoe t the lake which I have done before, but I wanted to ask what you guys recommend to have that is essential for winter/snow hikes.

I will have the 10 essentials as well as my InReach and extra layers, but I am always open to more feedback and learning!

hiker girl
        Participant

For Gorgonio, good lug sole boots (waterproof is great!), spikes, snowshoes if fresh snow or off trail, crampons/ice axe can be useful esp if going up high.

When I winter hike, I wear my thermo leggings under hiking pants (if temps in high 30s/40s) or under some Patagonia lightweight but warm winter waterproof lined pants for the colder days.  I always bring my puffy and just got an awesome Arc’tyrex shell, plus a baclava and thin gloves plus warm mittens as my hands get cold.  I wear warmer socks too and bring snow gaiters if snow deeper and put snow baskets on my poles.

Keep in mind you generate heat going uphill so pack layers.  Snow hiking goes slower too, so consider this when planning your route.  For me snow hiking I focus more on time than a destination like I do in non-snow conditions.

Happy hiking!  Snow is so pretty!  Did Deer Springs up to part of PCT other day and snow was really great there too and beautiful views!

MikeH
      Participant

Handwarmers…. plenty of handwarmers. 🙂  And footwarmers.  Used those last year for the first time.  Magic!  ha ha.

The few times I’ve hiked in the snow, we didn’t really need anything special until we stopped.  Waterproof footwear and gaiters were probably the biggest changes from summer hikes.  But once we stopped, all that heat generated from hiking disappears quickly and the cold sets in.

I plan on buying a pair of down pants just for sitting around camp in the cold weather.

stbrnnr
      Participant

Brittany–for day hikes one pc of gear i now consider as essential is my Thermarest Z-Lite-Sol accordian pad.  i use the short, 48″ version for sitting on when eating lunch or messing with lower layers or traction devices.  i strap it on the outside of my pack with some shock cord so its fast and easy to deploy.  Second pc would be my climbing helmet–esp. if i’m planning on cross country routes.  Not just for potential falls but for possible ice-bombs dropping from tree branches above in wind or thaw conditions.

Brittany
      Participant

@MikeH and @stbrnnr

Thank you both for the feedback.
      Props for the mat trick. I might still have one in the garage. Now that you mentioned it I do recall that being a sucky part last time I snowshoed years ago LOL No Wet Butt Team!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Brittany.
      MikeH
      Participant

@ hiker girl- how was the road conditions getting to the trailhead?

hiker girl
      Participant

Sorry late reply.  Depending on temps, snowmelt may freeze into icy patches if you hit it early am.  Angeles Oaks Hwy 38 fine (just watch for rockfall); Jenks had 1 little snowmelt icy spot when I went.  Also just 1 entrance was accessible for South Fork and icy snow scattered in areas. Plenty dry spots to park though.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.