South fork to dry lake 1/22/22

Home Forums Trail Conditions South fork to dry lake 1/22/22

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Brittany
      Participant

Alright I know conditions will be changing daily, but headed up to dry lake on Saturday the 22nd and 1. It was beautiful, 2. The fresh snow is melting quick on the lower portion of the trail per usual.

The drive

chain requirements were in effect on the way up the 38 at the usual point, just pass Angelus Oak store area. They already were taking care of the roads but apparently there had been a 40 car pile up somewhere on the 38 on Friday night. On the way down at about 3 the 38 was clear but chains still required. Jenna lake road kept a layer of snow here and there it at 3 still, but I was comfortable in my subie driving it

49EFBBEB-C5EC-4551-AAD3-BB24C127CCDE

Parking lot was cover, but almost back to “winter normal” by 3

the trail

headed up at 8 am, good 1.5” of fresh snow over the ice in the first 1/4 mile and remained through the day so be extra careful, still slipped to my butt on the way down with micros on.
      The 3.5 miles up to the creek were fresh snow on the way up and again, was already patchy and muddy on the way down

past the creek up the snow route to dry lake, there had been a couple people that broke trail on their way down from camping that morning and from the looks of it, they had a GREAT time doing it lol… snowshoes made for a pleasant climb up to the lake. Other than that, even though the surround areas had tons of wind, it was just a tad breezy on trail. Dry like had a stunning view like always.
      Oh and there are quite a few downed trees up the creek, all safely passable though.

I will put some more photos in the comments

Brittany
      Participant

Okay not letting me add photos at the moment so I’ll try again later

Brittany
      Participant

Alright I resorted to a drop box.
      there are photos and a few videos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ccv071j1wpy8rha/AACWK_JY14LTeyowmqwIh784a?dl=0

stbrnnr
      Participant

Thanks for the xlnt report, Brittany.  Much vicarious enjoyment for those of us flatlanders unable to get up there right now.  Pics (and vids) appreciated–nicely done!

MikeH
      Participant

Good stuff, Brittany.  Thanks for posting.  Cool pics too.

Can’t believe how much snow was on the road v.s. when I went the week before.

Brittany
      Participant

Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed the report. I couldn’t believe how much had melted in just a few short hours down at the meadow, poopout, and lower!

Brittany
      Participant

If you want to see the full trip I put together a video for my friend and I – watcher beware – more selfies than the above photos LOL

MikeH
      Participant

Ha… great video.  Love the happy energy!

Brittany
        Participant

Thanks!! Don’t often head up in the snow since it doesn’t linger long for us, but I’ve enjoyed heading up to dry lake via snowshoeing once a year!!

hiker girl
      Participant

Great post and loved the video!  Looks like you had even more fun than the early am trail blazers!

Doing Dry Lake Sat 2/19 to FINALLY get to practice self-arrest with my awesome ice axe! Will post conditions/snow depth and maybe a pic of me flailing down a very small, low angle slope!

Brian
      Participant

thanks for the pictures/info!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.