South Fork Trail Conditions 5/9/20

Home Forums Trail Conditions South Fork Trail Conditions 5/9/20

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      HikinJoe
      Participant

Hello all,

Trail conditions for South Fork to Dry Lake is clear of snow until the last quarter before reaching the lake. No micro spikes or snowshoes needed, just watch your step. There is snow patches along Dry Lake. I counted 4 water re-filling opportunities (likely 6) along the trail on the way to Dry Lake. DL still had water and began to look a bit unpleasant.

There was one backpacker across the lake from where I camped who started a campfire, against the regulations. Please take care of the area folks.

TvZ
      Participant

I know this is the wrong forum but I’m not sure if there is a similar form for Mount San jacinto? I may hike up tomorrow and I’m wondering if anybody on this forum knows if Humber Park parking lot is open ? Is it just free-range or are you supposed to self-register for a permit for overnight camping? Any help is appreciated thank you

SocalJim
      Participant

Humber Park has been open for a few weeks. Permits are required for backpacking and day hikes in the state park. For US Forest Service lands, day hike permits are recommended, not required. Since state parks are closed (sorta), not sure if they’re issuing overnight permits. USFS obviously is for SGWA, not sure about San Jacinto. mtsanjacinto.info is the SJ forum.

JonAnthony
      Participant

TvZ: Why not google San Jacinito state Park for exact information? Humber parking lot is CLOSED and no off-road street parking is allowed. Currently NO overnight camping is allowed anywhere in this State Park Wilderness. Day hikng for locals is possible with self reg permits. Dont forget a map and the 10 essentials please   https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by JonAnthony.
      Tin Cup
      Participant

Yes mt San Jacinto is closed to over nighters . You can day hike and like said before it is recommended that you fill out a day permit at the ranger station . It’s a Bummer That some trees are open and some are not .

SocalJim
      Participant

According to Idyllwild locals, Humber Park is open. Trails are open for day hiking. Overnight trips are still not permitted in the state park.

TvZ
      Participant

Currently camped above Saddle Junction on Mt San Jacinto, 2nd night. USDA part of the mtn is open with no permit currently required,  groups not allowed, social distancing and masks required Humber Park overnightp with no pass currently required, all per my ph convo with an Idylwild USDA ranger prior to coming up. Snow level about 9700′. You’ve got to know where the boundaries for State Park vs Dept of Ag land are and not pitch a tent on the State Park side.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.