Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      chris in redlands
      Participant
      chris in redlands
      Participant
      chris in redlands
      Participant

This forum is really finicky! Be careful with posts that have links in them…often instead of posting your info, it just deletes it altogether.

That first link above is of a few photos I took yesterday. They are all panoramas or photoshperes, so you can pan and zoom around in them. I tried to focus on well known spots, nice landscapes, and places that were particularly badly burned, though the whole trail is pretty bad.

This second link is to a set of photos that include some photos from every part of the trail to Dry Lake, and a ton of wildflower photos. The juxtaposition of all the amazing wildflowers with all the standing burned and dead trees was a little confusing.

Chris

Ted_S
      Participant

Chris — Great photos. Thanks for posting them. Are any stands of the large trees along the lower part of the trail still alive? Are there places where the large trees are totally gone, leaving holes in the ground where the roots had been?

chris in redlands
      Participant

There’s a margin of trees right near the road that aren’t burned, but by the time you’re around the first bend of the trail, you’re into stands of completely burned trees. The standing dead trees are a mix of trees that were already dead that burned and trees that were alive and were killed by the fire.

What I found remarkable was the thoroughness of the fire…for the most part, the fire killed all the trees. I had expected to find a number of larger trees still alive, and the smallest trees spared. That was not the case. Two years since the fire, and I didn’t spot more than a couple of seedling conifers. In many places, every single tree was dead. The oak trees seem to be doing pretty well, sending suckers up from their roots, even though all of the original tree is dead.

There are trees that have fallen since the fire, but I think those were mostly on their way to falling before the fire. If other once-burned areas I’ve watched recover are an indication, the big deadfalls will start about 7 to 10 years from now. And lots of the trees that burned in the Lake fire will probably still be standing snags many decades from now. Gonna keep the trail crews busy for sure!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.