South Fork trail water report

Home Forums Trail Conditions South Fork trail water report

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve H
      Participant

We hiked South Fork Trail to Dry Lake to the summit on 6/16/18.  Dry Lake and Lodgepole Spring were dry.  South Fork was flowing well.  We chose to gamble and filled up at Grassy Spring (34.1261, -116.8358) along the South Fork Trail; this was the last possible place to get water along our trip.  However, I would not count on Grassy Spring in the coming weeks.

Hope this info helps.

Brittany
      Participant

Thankd for this update! Thinking about headed up this trail for the first time next weekend! Where is grassy springs anyway? Not going to count on water there when we go, but for future refence!

Whippet
      Participant

I gave Grassy Spring a quick look on 5/5…is there a pipe or any sort of trickling waterfall hidden there to make it easier to fill a bottle?  Or do you have to just try to catch what’s running down the side of the hill next to the trail?  Seems like a perfect spot to bury a stainless sheet-metal “funnel” with a pipe running downhill a bit to make access easier without disturbing the soft soil.

Evangi
      Participant

Going to hike this Saturday and was wondering if there are still snow on the Vivian Creek trail going up to the summit?

Steve H
      Participant

Sorry folks, I wasn’t monitoring this post.

To answer a few questions:

@Brittany, Grassy Springs is at 34.1261, -116.8358 along the South Fork trail, almost exactly in between Dollar Lake/Dry Lake junction and Dry Lake.  https://caltopo.com/m/019V

@Whippet
      , we  were able to find a puddle about 3″ deep, enough to bury the bulb of a filter and pump water into our bottles.

@Evangi, no snow exact for a very small patch near the summit that is probably gone by now.

Brittany
        Participant

Thanks for getting back to us! Waiting on a over night permit to be aprroved to camp up there.. Looks like lodgepool spgs is the only available right now! Never been up past Dry Lake Juntion. Thanks for the knowledge

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.