South Fork Trailhead is open

Home Forums Trail Conditions South Fork Trailhead is open

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      shawnsisler
      Participant

The South Fork and Lost Creek Trailheads are currently the only trailheads open in San Gorgonio Wilderness that you are able to park your car at. The other 2 open trailheads are: Aspen Grove and Fish Creek which the roads to the trailheads are closed for winter until early May 2021.
      The South Fork trail was cleared of 50 tree obstacles up to South Fork Meadows by SGWA trailcrew. The rest of the way to the summit is open but hasn’t been cleared of any obstacles yet so please report any troubles along your way.

Also the Lost Creek trail disappears about a ½ mile after wilderness boundary all the way to South Fork junction. SGWA will hopefully be able to work on this trail soon so that the public can have more trail access into the wilderness.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Shawn!  50 trees cleared.  You volunteers rock! (but how do the trees know to fall over the trail?)

Do you know if it’s against any rule to sleep in your car at the trailhead the day before your permit is valid?

shawnsisler
        Participant

Hi Mike,

I am sure there is a rule that you can’t camp in the parking lot. But if you are getting there early or the middle of the night and somebody wakes you up then you could say I just felt asleep waiting to start my hike which you should have a SGW permit that you can show.

Brian
      Participant

THANK YOU!!!

chris in redlands
      Participant

Trail from SFM to Dry lake is mostly clear, aside from some small blowdown that will be easy bucking or rolling, and one nasty tree that fell and rolled right in line with the trail. That is on the section of trail where it straightens out above the switchbacks for the final run up to Dry Lake. Here’s the lat/long: 34°07’35.8″N 116°50’10.2″W

Here’s a picture of the tree, which is perfectly aligned with the trail. The high side of the trail is already showing damage from people scrambling around the tree:

Not long after Dry Lake, the snow became deep enough that it was a hassle to proceed without snowshoes. Nice crust, but still postholing thigh-deep. With the cooler temps, i’d expect the same this weekend.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Chris!  Great info.   I assume making it to the summit of San G from Dry Lake would be very difficult for those of us with a natural aversion to post-holing and trailblazing. 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whether it’s a marriage, any ceremony or any other function in Asian country, as sweets are precious to one another, there’s one factor that Asian countryn ladies perpetually do or we will say ladies in India perpetually do. it’s concerning drawing mehndi on their hands. Arabic mehndi design 2020 styles are a lot of in style lately. it’s thought of as auspicious in each Hindu and Islamic culture.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.