South Fork Trailhead Status

Home Forums Trail Conditions South Fork Trailhead Status

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      sfabre194
      Participant

I’m sure this has been addressed before, but I’m coming from a long way and I want to be sure the parking lot for the South Fork Trail is open off of Jenks Lake Road.

Brian
      Participant

Yes, it is! I had no problem this weekend.

sfabre194
        Participant

Thanks and I hope it stays open despite the rising crowds.

badmemory123
      Participant

Was there this weekend as well (Sunday). The parking for South Fork was open, however the toilets at the trail head are locked/closed. There is a single port-o-potty that is quite full…so not sure how much longer it is usable (also no TP).

The trail was free of any snow until essentially the fork. Was trying for Dollar lake, but as we approached was told that there was too much snow and that you needed snow shoes to pass.

We went the other way to dry lake: about the last 0.50 mile, there was snow which at times was deep, but all safe and passable without special equipment (though poles would be helpful), and be careful not to slip if icy (at the time it was slushy).

Dry lake is defrosted and swimmable if you can tolerate ice cold water. (My dog enjoyed herself, the humans I saw attempt did not last long).

We passed by other hikers but the trail was not too crowded and we did not find it unsafely populated with people.

sfabre194
      Participant

I thought I would pass this along. I talked to a ranger today at the San Bernardino Forest headquarters, and got some firm information on the south fork parking lot. The bathroom of course will remain locked because it is a facility (The portable toilet will be emptied soon I was assured). So unless the county passes an ordinance  or the state issues a new directive or the president clamps down on gatherings in a forest, the  parking lot will remain opened as expected for this time of year.

Bossmom
      Participant

Can you car camp at the South Fork TH?

sfabre194
      Participant

As far as I know, no camping is allowed as a TH.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

That is correct: no camping at the trailhead parking lot.

Want to disperse camp? go to East Flats camp area (East of South Fork trail on Jenks Lake Road about 1/4 mile before you get to Highway 38 on the Jenks Lake Rd East entrance.

California fire permit required if you plan to use a camp stove at East Flats – No Open fire allowed. Get a free fire permit at the  website:

http://www.readyforwildfire.org/prevent-wildfire/

Hope that helps

SK
      Participant

Are there a lot of standing dead trees on South Fork Trail?

Bossmom
      Participant

Thanks for the info about the disperse camping.  Do you know if 1N84 requires a high clearance vehicle?

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Dead trees: yep, here and there. Some trees trying to come back but parts of the South Fork area were near some of the hottest burning, so it left some damage. Lost Creek and Aspen Grove got it worse. So when you go into any of the burned areas, keep an eye on your surroundings in case a breeze picks up and the rot inside a tree trunk finally makes the tree give way. A concern but not something that will keep jumping out at you, but I would know what kind of winds are expected before I went so I would be prepared.

1N84 normally does not have deep ruts, but I have not been in there since last fall. Take it slow and watch the condition of the road ahead.

Normally lots of space to turn around if you don’t feel safe.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.