The Other Wilderness

Home Forums Trail Conditions The Other Wilderness

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      shawnsisler
      Participant

SGWA and San Bernardino Forest Service, along with Angeles Forest Service maintain the Cucamonga Wildereness.

If you have been there before then you probably went up Icehouse Canyon Trail which you were among the hundreds of other people. Well now you can visit the other side of Icehouse Saddle by way of the Middle Fork Trail. The San Bernardino Forest Service has just completed work on the Middle Fork Road. This 3 mile dirt road was always in unpredictable shape but for now it has been full graded and covered with gravel. Thus making it your other wilderness option.

It can be a better option for those not wanting to snow hike because the trail is mainly on the sunny exposed side of the canyon for the first 3 miles and the trailhead elevation starts at 4000ft.

Remember to get your Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead because there a vaulted toilet. The Adventure Pass funds help the Forest Service to improve and enhance recreation opportunities. Also remember to still drive carefully and enjoy the solitude for now because it might not always be that way.

SGWA volunteer

Ed
      Participant

Thanks, Shawn, for the information.  I never hiked that side of the saddle because of the bad road.  It looks very attractive.

shawnsisler
      Participant

On 12/12 Angeles Forest Service issued a Mt Baldy Emergency Closure order# 05-01-19-09
      which is closing the forest in the Mt Baldy area to search for the missing hiker. This closure only effects
      the Angeles side of the Cucmaonga Wilderness and doesn’t effect the San Bernardino side. Please stay out of the Icehouse Canyon area which is in the closure.

MikeH
      Participant

Excellent info, Shawn.  Thanks.

One of the pictures I saw 0n All Trails showed a sign stating a Wilderness Permit was require a 1.7 miles beyond the sign.

Do you know where one would obtain a permit for a day or overnight hike?

MikeH
      Participant

Edit to my post above:  A video I watched showed someone get a permit from the Front County Ranger Station.

Saw another video where someone took this to Etiwanda.  Any idea on trail conditions over that way?

MikeH
      Participant

FYI- I spoke to the Ranger at the Front County Ranger Station.  He confirmed you don’t need a permit for Day Hike.

shawnsisler
      Participant

I believe that is right but it is still required for overnight camping. It is always recommended to get a permit so if any trouble happens then help can account for you but for day hiking it is not required.

The Lytle Creek Ranger Station is just a mile before the turn off to Middle Fork Road where you could get a permit.

12/21 Saturday SGWA volunteers were working on the trail. They removed 11 tree hazards and some tread work to just before the Third Steam Crossing wash.

Here is one less tree across the trail.

Thank you SGWA volunteers

MikeH
      Participant

You guys and girls rock!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.