Trail Report – South Fork 4/5 – 4/6

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trail Report – South Fork 4/5 – 4/6

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian
      Participant

Hiked up to Dollar Lake 4/5, starting at ~3pm and arriving at ~8pm. There is snow ~0.5 miles before the trail forks, and there is really no trail about 0.5 miles after heading toward Dollar Lake due to snow. I highly recommend heading up the draw instead of trying to find the trail for another few weeks, that’s the way I headed down. At the lake, there is no running water as everything is still frozen, with about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. Felt warm to sleep on though. The next day I made it to Dollar Lake View by following the ‘trail’, mostly using GPS and intuition. I opted to glissade down from there and slowly work my way back (and eventually up) to my campsite before heading back for the evening. I was joined by another hiker, who was able to make it to the top of San G. the next day in only microspikes whereas I opted for proper crampons, I don’t think either were really necessary as the snow was very soft. The main issue was post-holing after ~noon.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for the report, Brian!

stbrnnr
      Participant

Dollar EastHey Brian!  Coincidentally “slushed” up to the Dollar lakebed via the abandoned old route on a really warm Sunday the 8th–saw what must have been your downhill track–quickly melting away.  Hadn’t been to the lake for years–was disappointed to find that the old photogenic, isolated “Dollar Christmas Tree” on the east shore has died.  Trunk burned only partially on its lower northwest side…while no other trees in the immediate vicinity showed any evidence of fire–“Lake” or other.  Rather puzzling… sorry for the poor image quality of the attached but if you zoom in you’ll immediately know which tree I’m referring to.  Anyone know the cause?  Thx, SteveB.

John H
      Participant

Thanks for the info!

Do you think South Fork could possibly thaw out a bit this week?

I don’t have micro spikes and ice axes for everyone coming with us. I’d rather put it off if it’s a significant worry, although I suppose we also don’t need to summit.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.