Trip Report: Angelus Oaks to South Fork TH

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trip Report: Angelus Oaks to South Fork TH

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnP
      Participant

Friday 6/10 to Sunday 6/12: Trail is in good condition with an incredible wildflower show of fire followers: Wallflower, Matilija Poppy, etc.  Large areas of utter destruction.  Camped at Limber Pine Bench with reliable water 1/3 mile east (Limber Pine Springs is running well).  Bagged some peaks and camped at High Meadow Springs.  A few level spots there are suitable for one tent.  Water is plentiful but shallow; a filter is helpful (I used my bandana).  Plenty of water at South Fork Meadows.  Weather was very pleasant for hiking with some cloud cover and breeze – not hot.

dancpa
      Participant

Thanks for the trip report! I’m headed up next week.

hiker girl
      Participant

I’m going your rough reverse in a few weeks with a friend as an out n back hike starting from the South Fork trailhead to as far as we feel up on the ridge. I know the mileage and entire trail well, at least pre-devastation.

Trail condition ?s:

Were you able to stay on trail, or are there areas the trail is still destroyed?  Assuming many tree falls/snags?

Any residual snow?

Same for the peaklets along the ridge trail?

And Dollar – north-facing switchbacks clear of snow/ice now?

Thanks so much, and Dancpa enjoy your hike!

JohnP
        Participant

The trail is actually in good condition for the most part.  There are some areas around Shields Flat where the trail is a little indistinct but not to the point of being a problem.  There are a number of downed trees across the trail with use trails around them.  There’s no snow anywhere near the trail or on the peaks.  A couple of snowfields on the slope above Dollar Lake may mean there’s water available, but we didn’t go in to check.

hiker girl
      Participant

Also – does anyone know if the Momyer “trace trail” still has any trace of existence?  The one that goes south down from the Divide Trail? Or did the fire claim that too?  It was getting rather buckthorny and had some rock fall a few years ago last I did it, but it was a cool off the beaten path path!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by hiker girl.
      JohnP
      Participant

We met some fit young women Saturday who had come up the Momyer trail and were planning to go back to the trailhead the same way.  That’s not the same as a trails report but they made it and didn’t say that it was a thrash.

hiker girl
        Participant

Thanks for the update on conditions.  And posted this under the poppies by mistake:

The “fit young women” you saw – did they come up the trace trail which empties out on the Divde ridge or take the actual Momyer Trail?

JohnP
        Participant

They said they started at Momyer TH.  I think they took the “unmaintained” trail as we saw them around San Bernardino East Peak.

hiker girl
        Participant

Thanks for the info John!

JohnP
      Participant

I think the poppies aren’t Matilija but actually Prickly Poppies – Argemone munita – for those who care

hiker girl
        Participant

Sorry wrong post here

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by hiker girl.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.