Trip Report- Dollar Lake Trail to Dry Lake View to San G and back

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trip Report- Dollar Lake Trail to Dry Lake View to San G and back

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeH
      Participant

Hi all,

Took Mika up the South Fork Trail to the Dollar Lake Trail camping at Dry Lake View.  In the morning, we went up the 2.4 miles to San G summit.  Got up there about 6:30am and stayed up there about 30-40min.  Hiked back to camp, packed up and headed back to the car.  About 20 miles total.

Started raining on us a little after Horse Meadow.  Donned my rain jacket and put on my pack cover.  Rain lasted about an hour.  A little bit of thunder, but seemed behind us and no lightning so we kept going.  Actually kind of neat to hike in the rain… for a while. 😉  Skies cleared up and weather was great for the rest of the trip.

Filled up with water at South Fork Meadows (Dry Lake/ Dollar Lake trail split) as there is no other water on the trail (unless you hike down to Dollar Lake trail- assuming that spring is running).  I’d suggest filling up at South Fork Meadows.

Trail is in good condition.  The redirected trail that led up the left side of the trail has been modified.  You continue more straight and take some short switchbacks up to the regular trail.  Easy to follow.

Nature is working hard to take back some parts of the trail so there some overgrowth.  I’d recommend long pants.  The “fern forest” parts of the trail is very cool.

Dollar Lake trail is very rocky.  When I hike it again, I will probably use boots instead of my trail runners.  I tend to roll my ankles on the way down and I stepped on the side of some sharper rocks- actually cut a hole in the side of my shoe.

Late Saturday night I heard a helicopter circling near my camp announcing “If you’re lost, wave your arms”.  Hope whoever they were looking for was found safe.

As always, any questions feel free to ask.

Let’s see if I can add pics:

27BCECFE-6244-4808-8F0C-0AC3DD1A7532

A92520E5-8612-48D4-BC0F-F207ACCDC92B

03C9C1C2-5A08-45FE-8D59-97DC896C6EDA

CCC9D656-EA16-4AD4-A098-A9C9752A6AE8

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.