Vivian Creek Trail

Home Forums Trail Conditions Vivian Creek Trail

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      DaveH
      Participant

Greetings,

I am planning a weekend trip September 17-19 up Vivian Creek TH, camping at Halfway, heading to summit SG.  Recent posts seem to indicate there is available water in Vivian Creek and to a lesser degree at High Creek.  Does anyone have an update from this past weekend?

Chilly Mountaineer
      Participant

Greetings Dave,

Recent posts are correct still. you’ll have plenty of water at High Creek.

Brandon
      Participant

Any idea if there will still be water ay High Creek in the middle of September?

Hike2summit
      Participant

Any updates on current trail conditions for vivian creek?

brichardsson
      Participant

there will always be water at high camp. it’s one of the most reliable water sources in the sgwa.

hiker girl
      Participant

We hiked up South Fork/Dry Lake yest and ran into few groups that all came up Vivian.  No one mentioned the switchback icy snow we encountered and that all above or close to 10.000 ft.

Viv is on the south side of San G and only the north-facing trail sections on our hike were impacted.

High Camp creek is perennial usually. Best water on the planet is in our mtns!

Have fun!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by hiker girl.
      Hike2summit
      Participant

Thanks!  May go via Vivian creek this Wednesday or Thursday.

hiker girl
      Participant

You may want to throw in spikes for the switchbacks that go up from High Camp. They are north-facing, and the upper ones are in the elevation we encountered icy snow Sunday on the South Fork side.

Let me know, as guys we talked to didn’t say anything, so hopefully the Viv side is all clear.

Have a great hike!

Hike2summit
      Participant

Thanks! I am at crestline and didn’t bring my spikes because of what you mentioned plus the rush of travel. I am hopeful it won’t be icy as temperatures have been warmer, although I remember it getting a little icy on the switchbacks during this time of the year after a drizzle rain.
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I’ll be careful, may end up taking it easy and going high creek only. According to MWF it shoudl be above freezing generally.</p>
      https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/San-Gorgonio/forecasts/3505
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for the heads up!</p>

chris in redlands
      Participant

You don’t necessarily need any special gear. All you need to do is turn around when the conditions warrant turning around with the gear you have. Be smart. Summits aren’t everything. San Gorgonio is one of the lamest summits in California. Don’t be disappointed if you get turned around by conditions. Be safe and enjoy your time in the mountains.

Hike2summit
      Participant

Yes! That’s the way to do it! Have been to SG many times and though its an easy summit you need to respect the mountain and the ever changing weather conditions, specially in the winter. Remember Ranger Dave? He would often go there and give us an update about the conditions on the mountain and educate everybody.  You would find him at the trail or camping at high camp and would give the business to anybody who was not well prepared.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Hike2summit.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Hike2summit.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.