Vivian Creek Trail Current Conditions?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Vivian Creek Trail Current Conditions?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Participant

Hey guys,

Has anyone been up Vivian Creek recently? And if so, what gear would you recommend (snowshoes, crampons/microspikes, ice axe, etc)? Some friends and I are shooting for a summit attempt this coming Saturday 4/13. I just hiked South Fork this past weekend (4/6) with the goal of reaching Dollar Lake to scope out the conditions but ended up turning back shortly after the fork as several groups coming down were saying it just wasn’t worth it. I had snowshoes with me but the snow was inconsistent in a lot of places and seemed like microspikes were the way to go, but the summit looks pretty covered still. Any recommendations on the best route to the summit?

Gaby
      Participant

Hi i want to know also please thanks a lot 🙂
      what time do u usually start the hike?

Mike
      Participant

It’s about a ~10 hour hike to the summit from Vivian Creek trailhead during the warmer months, but with the current conditions I’m assuming it will take much longer depending on how much snow there is. We plan to start no later than 5am.

Gaby
        Participant

thanks a lot 🙂

Gaby
        Participant

10 hour RT? or one way. tnx

kq6up
      Participant

I was thinking of backpacking up to halfway camp or possibly high camp and camping overnight on Friday night.  Then pushing for a Summit attempt on Saturday.  Maybe too ambitious?  Anyone else interested in trying an overnight trip?  I prefer the company of other folks, but no one I know has mountaineering gear.

Mike
      Participant

UPDATE

I called the Mill Creek ranger station this morning and they said the snow line starts at around 9,000ft, just before high creek camp, and the snow conditions on the south side of the summit (Vivian Creek trail side) is about 6 inches deep and mostly hardened in the cooler temps so crampons/microspikes should be sufficient.

@kq6up
      you should be good for a 2 day summit attempt. We’re shooting for a day summit and back on Saturday but are going to go as light as possible, going to start around 5am. Maybe we’ll see you up there, happy hiking!

kq6up
      Participant

Got my permit for High Creek tonight.  Hopefully see you guys on the trail tomorrow.

Gaby
      Participant

so is it possible in current conditions a day RT hike?

flyzapper
        Participant

I’m planning a RT day hike next Monday or Tuesday. I’m planning on starting before 6am and I’ll bring snowshoes, micro-spikes, and ice axe. It looks like snow conditions will be variable throughout the day.

db
      Participant

For those that hiked last weekend, how were the conditions and what is recommended. I have micro spikes, crampons, and ice axe and  plan on doing an overnight.

Thanks in advance.

flyzapper
      Participant

I hiked on Monday, April 22 as a day hike. Lots of snow above Halfway Camp, including somewhat steep sections that cut switchbacks and head straight uphill. Definitely recommend microspikes/crampons and ice axe, especially for the steep sections and traverse to the summit.

Hikedude
      Participant

Hiked on 4/27.  Left trailhead around 8.  Summit ~1:30.  We just went straight up and bypassed switchbacks for a lot of the first part.  We packed crampons and axes, although we did the entire snow portion with microspikes and poles.  I could see some people wanting to use an axe, though, so I would pack things like that anyhow.

Rocko
      Participant

Hiking this route near the end of May. With all the snow, would it be safe to assume the water sources-Halfway and High Creek will still be flowing?

kq6up
        Participant

Yes, you should be fine.  Water has been plentiful all Summer in my experience.

Alee
      Participant

Hi all,

I’m hoping to do some backpacking beginning around May 19th. I’m not familiar with this region so I’m wondering if anyone can shed some insight on what the trail might look like by then, given the snow that’s persisted so far.

Thanks for any and all help!

Rocko
      Participant

Does anyone have a guesstimate on the snow conditions at the end of next week-barring anymore new snow? Have a hike planned for May 24th and trying to figure out what equipment may be needed-crampons, etc. Thanks.

Rocko
      Participant

Just checking to see if anyone has current trail conditions for Vivian Creek trail?

Bryan
        Participant

I was up there Sunday the 9th.  No snow til past high creek.  Then just a few short patches here and there.  The last half mile before the junction to go towards dollar lake was snow covered.  After that snow free.  I had micro spikes but never put them on.

Bryan
      Participant

I hiked up Vivian creek on the 9th.  Snow free til high creek. Then it’s just short patches up the switch backs. Then maybe a 1/2 mile or so of snow til you get to the trail junction going to dollar lake.  Top was free of snow.

Hikedude
      Participant

Vivian is the least technical approach to the summit in my opinion,  so you’re good.  Pretty sure there will be a couple others that lay tracks.  At High Creek I recommend just going straight up until you meet back up with the trail  (that little bit of switchbacks just after there.  Then pay attention to East Side topo lines for that last ridge before summit.  They’re fairly steep.  I’ve done it with poles and spikes before, but I’d recommend packing your crampons and axe.  I think my last time in snow, I had a moving time of around 9 hrs, and overall time of 11 hrs.  I just pick a turn around time if it gets late.  Packing a headlamp, and some of the other survival stuff  just in case is recommended for a day hike.  It’s still snowing, I believe and will clear Sat.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Hikedude.
      Hikedude
      Participant

Dollar Lake approach to summit is my fave in snow conditons.

But something like this (up the chute) instead of the trail is fun if you’re okay with going straight up some steepness.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/san-gorgonio-summit-via-south-fork–114

Hikedude
      Participant

http://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/san-gorgonio-summit-via-south-fork–114 
      Don’t know why the link didn’t work. Maybe this will..

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Hikedude.
      chris in redlands
      Participant

Just an FYI to anyone reading this, someone resurrected a post from last summer, so much of the condition info you read above is incorrect.

Half Domer Homer
      Participant

Summited on Sunday May 17, left the parking lot at 4:20AM and reached the summit around 10-ish.  The snow above High Creek Camp has melted finally and the switchbacks are open.  The snow was not a problem from about 10,000ft to the summit, minor patches easy to walk over, no spikes required.  A little windy, but beautiful conditions overall.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.