Water at High Meadow?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Water at High Meadow?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      David
      Participant

Now that some of the Lake Fire Closure is open, we’re planning to head up to the ridge.  Anybody been up there to know if there is water flowing at High Meadow?

Thanks.

–David

shawnsisler
      Participant

David,

Water at High Meadows Spring is rated as a “IV” on Hikin Jim’s Blog Caltopo. The “IV” is a 4 rating from a scale of 1 to 5 and 5 being almost for sure there will be water all year. His mappings can be a very helpful guide to San Gorgonio Wilderness and I am very thankful for all the detail he has put to it. But with all maps, things can change so it is always helpful for hikers that can report any current water issues or status.

SGWA volunteer

zippetydude
      Participant

I am planning on doing the ridge this weekend if I am able to get a permit, so I can probably give you feedback and a picture then.  If you’re already going to be heading up then maybe I’ll see you along the way.

As far as whether or not to risk it, I generally figure that carrying a bit of extra water is not all that heavy.  If you carry a whole gallon extra up from Dollar Lake (where I found the spring flowing strongly last Saturday) you are only carrying 8 lbs up 800′.  Since you are already carrying yourself and other supplies (presumably totaling a bit more than 8 lbs) and you are gaining overall around 3200 feet of elevation if you start at South Fork and hike just to the ridge, the small additional weight and the rather minimal elevation gain make it hardly worth the stress of “gambling”.  I just carry the water, almost always find the springs flowing anyway, and just dump out the warm water and enjoy the icy cold deliciousness of the fresh spring water instead.  Costs me nothing but a tiny bit of additional effort.  Just my two cents!

z

David
      Participant

@shawnsisler – Yes, figured it’s likely there’s water, but wasn’t sure if anything changed significantly after the fire.

@z – We definitely overpack the water, but carrying for 30 miles is tough.  We did Momyer to peak and back on saturday, and were happy to hit Plummer’s to pump on the way back down!  We’re planning to hit the ridge next weekend on the 12th, so we won’t see you out there this time unless you want to come back again.

zippetydude
      Participant

Since I’m hoping to make it up there this weekend (before you go) I’ll be sure and post so you know what to expect.

It’s nice to have the wilderness open again.  I’ve been up there 3 times since it reopened and hope to go most weekends this summer so maybe we’ll run into each other after all.

Cool dog, btw!

z

Miner
      Participant

Passed through on Saturday the 5th.  There is plenty of water there.  However, its spread out through several troughs with no easy place to get water so I had to drop down a little ways before I could find a spot that I could get a bottle under the runoff.  The last time I was here a few years ago, one of the troughs was damned with a log so there was a tiny pool where you could dip a bottle or a filter hose.  Maybe it was under the taller vegetation at the very top of the spring.  It did looked trampled down.

David
      Participant

Thanks @Miner

@zippetydude
      We are finalizing plans but expecting to head up saturday 8/12, probably from Momyer for permits, and either do the ridge on the way to the peak or back and out SB, guessing it’s like 29 miles.  If you’re interested let me know.

zippetydude
      Participant

Hi David. Sounds like an adventure.  I’m glad the HMS water source turned out positive.  I ended up going a different route on Saturday and did the peak via DLS instead of taking the xc route up to the ridge from the wilderness boundary, so I didn’t actually pass by HMS.

Thanks for the invite! I’ll be doing wedding prep for my daughter this weekend, but I’d enjoy joining in on a future adventure.

BTW, if you’re starting from Momyer you could always take the old trail directly up to San B, take the ridge across to San G, then loop it down Vivian.  That way there would only be the little spur on San G as an out and back, giving you more variety. If you’re going to shuttle it anyway, it’s a super convenient shuttle to leave a car at Vivian, and it’s only a couple miles of downhill if you don’t feel like doing a shuttle.  I bring my mountain bike and lock it up at Vivian, then ride it back down to Momyer when I do that loop.

Hope you have fun.  Post some pics!

z

David
      Participant

Had a great day up there yesterday, perfect weather.  Did Momyer up the old trail to the ridge, across to the peak, and back down Momyer (which we prefer quite a bit to Vivian, even though it’s a longer spur to the peak).  Took a dip in the creek at the end.

Never found the water at high meadows, must have been a spur trail we didn’t know to look for, but wasn’t a problem as we were able to make it to Plummer’s just fine.

Miner
      Participant

To get water in High meadows, you take the trail to the trail camp.  Just before you get to the trail camp, an unmarked trail drops off to the left.  Follow that down to a grassy slope called a meadow.  The spring is in the grass near the top of that meadow.  Numerous fingers of water run down through small channels in the grass.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.