Water Availability on Vivian Creek Trail

Home Forums Trail Conditions Water Availability on Vivian Creek Trail

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Webdweeb
      Participant

Can anyone comment on water availability for the Vivian Creek trail camps (Vivian Creek, Halfway, High Creek)?  I got an email from the SGWA desk that said there is no water at Halfway camp, but there is at Vivian Creek camp.  A recent post (3 June said there is water at High Creek, so I am at a loss as to how the middle camp can be dry if the camps above and below it are not.  Any clarity on this would be most appreciated!

Jonathan I
      Participant

Spent last Saturday at Vivian Camp… creek was flowing well enough to refill water easily. Didn’t go up any higher; had my 9 year old with me.

Ben Parker
      Participant

Regarding how the middle camp can be dry when there is water above and below, that’s because the upper camp, as its name implies, gets its water from High Creek, which is a totally separate stream from Vivian Creek. I day-hiked to Halfway Camp on May 7th and saw no signs of water there. I was told later by a Ranger, though, that sometimes there is a small spring about 40 yards up the dry creek bed from where the trail crosses just before the side trail to Halfway.

Chilly Mountaineer
      Participant

The Spring at Vivian has excellent flow. Water there can be easily obtained anywhere from the spring (400′ up from the Vivian camp cutoff on the right side of trail) to the Big Falls overlook. Quite lush still. Halfway is bone dry. Many folks were going up to High Creek and filling up as to walk down hill with the water.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.