Water Availablility

Home Forums Trail Conditions Water Availablility

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      dancpa
      Participant

My daughter and I are planning on a one night backpack to either Dry Lake or Dollar Lake via South Fork this weekend.  Is there water availability at both locations?  If so, which do you recommend?  Thanks so much!

Natscat
      Participant

I was at Dry Lake a week ago and it is gorgeous! Tons of water in the lake. Nice hike via SF trail. Super busy on weekends but lots of camping opportunities. I don’t know what Dollar is like but earlier posts show lots of water there too. Enjoy!!!

dancpa
        Participant

Thanks so much for the response.  We’re excited to see Dry Lake!

MikeH
      Participant

Do you have permits already?  I see permits available for both on Friday and Sunday, but not Saturday.

From some recent posts here, there is water at both locations.

Dry Lake is a significantly larger, busier location, but, as mentioned above you should have no problem finding a site.

Dollar Lake is smaller and, in my opinion, less scenic.

I would choose Dry Lake for sure.

dancpa
        Participant

Mike,

Thanks for your response.  I just need one night (Friday), and I think we’ll choose Dry Lake!

MikeH
      Participant

Excellent.  There are some fairly recent posts here with pictures of Dry Lake to give you an idea what to expect.  Since it was a good snow year, the lake has a ton of water in it, with (given it’s name) is not all that normal so you’re in for a treat.

GeneM
      Participant

Just an update.  There is still quite a bit of water in Dry Lake.  Lodgepole Spring is flowing nicely.  Follow the trail on the left side of valley where the second section of the Dry Lake Campsite is.  The spring is a short walk up the valley a little ways past the campsites.  Stick the left hand side and follow the trail.

Bugs are not too bad, mostly non-biting flies, some mosquitoes.  Still bring bug spray though for morning and evening.

CanadianGirl
      Participant

Has anyone been to High Meadow Springs recently?  I am hoping to use that water source… any info is appreciated!  Thank you.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Recent trail patrols have reported good water flow at High Meadow Springs.

Bryan O.
      Participant

Any reports on water for John’s Meadow or Columbine Springs?

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Forsee creek and the smaller west fork creek on the west side of John’s meadow camp flow year round. The smaller creek on the west side of the camp has a reputation of being a better quality water than the larger creek, but both are available.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.