THE FOLLOWING ARE PROHIBITED BY THE FEDERAL CODE OF REGULATIONS (CFR)
- Entering or being in a National Forest Wilderness without possessing a Wilderness Permit to show on request. 36 CFR 261.57(a)
- As of 1998, open campfires of any kind are PROHIBITED within the San Gorgonio Wilderness. More details .
- Use of trail, campsite, or other area in the San Gorgonio Wilderness by a group larger than 12 (twelve) persons or having more than 8 stock animals. 36 CFR 261.58(f)
- Camping in a location other than that specified on the permit. 36 CFR 261.10(k) and 261.58(e)
- Camping or picketing stock within 200 feet of meadows, springs, streams, trails, or other occupied camps. 36 CFR 261.58(e)
- Camping or picketing stock within ¼ mile of Dollar Lake. 36 CFR 261.52(e)
- Camping within the same campsite in the South Fork drainage for more than two nights per party during any one trip into the Wilderness. 36 CFR 261.58(e)
- Disposing of debris, garbage, or other waste material. 36 CFR 261.57(g)
- Placing in or near a stream, lake, or any other body of water any substance that does or may pollute a stream, lake, or other water. 36 CFR 261.11(c)
- Not having a shovel or hand trowel in possession for use in burying human waste during overnight camping or in cleaning sites for stove fires. 36 CFR 261.58(e) and 261.52(g); and according to the 1998 Wilderness Plan
- Shortcutting a switchback. 36 CFR 261.55(d)
- Mutilating, defacing, removing, disturbing, injuring, or destroying any natural feature or any property of the United States Government. 36 CFR 261.9(a)
- Possessing or using a motor or motorized equipment except small battery-powered handheld devices, such as cameras, shavers, flashlights, and Geiger counters. 36 CFR 261.16(a)
- Possessing or using any wheeled mechanical device including, but not limited to, bicycles, wagons, or carts. 36 CFR 261.57(h) Use of wheelchairs by physically challenged persons is permitted.
- Smoking except while seated in an area of at least 3 (three) feet in diameter that is barren or has been cleared of all flammable material. 36CFR261.52(d)
- Possessing a dog not on a leash or otherwise confined. 36 CFR 261.8(d)
- Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than 6 (six) months, or both. 18USC36CFR1
Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than 6 (six) months, or both. 18USC36CFR1
- Vehicles are occasionally vandalized and/or burgarized at trailheads. Be sure to take appropriate preventative action.
- It is recommended that water be treated before consumption to reduce risk of illness.
To learn minimum impact travel and camping techniques which will help you comply with the above regulations and help preserve wilderness character for future visitors, please click here.